Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Can we please make hats happen in the US? Who's with me?

*Ed. note: I started this post last Friday, but you know, I have a life. And a job. Deal.

You so knew this was coming. Being me and who I am and all that I love, I was naturally somewhat obsessed with the Royal Wedding. Although I'm pretty much a mutt culturally, I do know for sure that I've got some British blood in there somewhere (a. Clark b. pasty, pasty skin). My name also means princess in Hebrew so clearly I was meant to watch this. And who doesn't love a good commoner turned royalty story? Definitely me and Julia Stiles. It was inevitable that I would be all over this blessed event. Just look at these two! What's not to love?




What was not inevitable, yet a truly pleasant surprise, was the fervor with which I responded to the incredible millinery on display at the wedding. I am officially starting a movement to bring hats back to the US. For formal events, casual events, the workplace, and everyday chores. I can't imagine how a hat would not make any of those things better. Here are some of the hats that I love and love to hate from the Royal Wedding.

Queenie here (as my friend Lindsey has nicknamed her) looked bright and cheery in her lemony yellow ensemble. A classic hat for a classy lady.
The daughters of Prince Andrew and the ubiquitous Fergie definitely made a statement. I'm just not sure that I'd want that statement to include the terms "cracked out". However, I do kind of love the pale pink coat Eugenie is sporting. If only the tentacles on her head didn't distract from it.
Another one that I'm not completely thrilled with. While I enjoy a pop of color with a black and white outfit, this quasi-turban was just not doing it for me. Too much flower, too much tulle and too much turban.

Posh and Becks look smashing. I love them. I also love that he has a hat too. I have to wonder if he just carried it around all day or actually put it on at some point. Wouldn't want to mess up that banging coif he's got goin on. Posh can do no wrong in my book. I would like her to smile more in photos, mainly because the interviews I've read with her make her seem like a simply pleasant person. Her non-verbals do not express this. However, that fascinator is expressing plenty, mainly that she is fierce.

LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this. The color the diamonds, the wide brim with simple, yet impactful detail.


I was undecided about this at first, but have come down on the side of love. Go big or go home, that's what I always say. Well, not really, but I might start.

These ladies seem super pleased with themselves. I don't know that I would be so smug if I were wearing my Great Aunt's holiday foliage from 1993 OR an inverted canoe that is threatening to change the very landscape of my nasal area.

Love. With all of my heart. Love the asymmetry (which is a very big deal since those that know me well know that I very much enjoy things that are symmetrical), love the jaunty angle at which the hat is tipped, love the structure of the adorning bow-like accessory.


Lastly, the greatest topper of all, a classic tiara on loan from Queenie herself. It is the perfect compliment to her amazing gown and doesn't overshadow Catherine's beauty or joyful spirit that she embodied on this day. Simply perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting for this post and you did not disappoint! :)

    ReplyDelete