Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Annie Oakley Can Suck It

Another item knocked off my bucket list that we're not calling a bucket list! Actually, I took care of this particular item a few weeks ago. For some reason, I've been wanting to learn how to shoot a gun, just because I never have and they kind of scare the crap out of me. I seem to be on a kick of doing things that scare the crap out of me, but more on that later.

Anywho, my friend Adam recently asked me to be a reference for his gun permit, which I just thought was hysterical. I got a call from the sheriff (for real) and they asked me shockingly few questions about Adam's mental stability and violent tendencies. I resisted the urge to answer facetiously and he secured the permit for his newly purchased pistol. Just before Adam left us here in Wilmington for grad school, we went to the local shooting range, Shooter's Choice, and he taught me how to shoot! Rule #1: Always treat a gun like it's loaded. Took me a while to remember that one, but no worries, we were very safe. It was a blast (pun only quasi-intended), but sadly we did not take any pictures that day. I think I was too terrified and forgot. Guns are scary! However, in lieu of photos of my first shooting experience, I provide you with an amalgamation of awkward/weird/just plain funny photos of the two of us, which seem to be the only kind we take.




I had such a great time the first time around that I knew I could not keep this to myself. Luckily, Shooter's Choice has a Ladies Night every Monday, which is just too good a deal to pass up. Jenn, Stefanie and I took advantage of the $20 charge for instruction, lane and gun rental and ammo last night. I highly recommend this to any ladies in town that are looking for something a bit out of the ordinary. I have to say, I enjoy shooting a lot more than I originally expected. The first time around, I was scared to death. Guns are powerful and oh hey, they can kill you. But I think it's important to know how they work and have a healthy fear of their power. Also, it is one hell of a stress reliever. Here are a few choice photos from last night.


My gun and ammo - this gun kind of sucked. It kept jamming. Luckily, I am a pro.


Showing off our super pretty pink and purple targets. 


Some have commented on why my target has less holes - that's because I'M A PRO, as previously mentioned, and I kept shooting through that little yellow circle aka THE BULLSEYE.

Not sure what's up with Stef in this pic. Maybe she's just acknowledging my extreme prowess at the range.


Also, for those of you aware of, familiar with, or obsessed with 4square as I clearly am, I am now the mayor of Shooter's Choice. HA! 

I also knocked another item off my list Saturday night, although it was unplanned and I felt woefully unprepared. As soon as I get the accompanying photos from Stef and Kara I'll fill you in. Till then, I'll leave you in suspense....





No comments:

Post a Comment