Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscar Coverage 2011: All In the Name of a Good Cause

The time has to come to chastise those celebrities who thought they were bringing it, yet are sorely mistaken. Before we embark on this journey of fashion missteps I have to acknowledge the dramatic differences in people's opinions on this year's Oscar fashion - not only amongst the fashion bloggers and "experts", but amongst friends as well. My friend Grace writes an amazing blog (you should seriously check it out) and recently posted her best and worst dressed. We agree completely on some of the stars' looks and not so much on others. My friend Liz and I have the same 50/50 thing going on with our faves as well. It just goes to show that fashion is subjective and individual. I think that's what makes it fun. So as much as I will criticize and snark and almost combust about the following, just know that I recognize individual style is just that - individual.

On to the shit show!


I absolutely love Florence + the Machine. My friend Greg introduced me to them over a year ago and I felt very smug for knowing about them long before they broke through in 2010 with the song Dog Days Are Over. Florence Welch has an incredible voice, but the same cannot be said for her dishwater-hued dress. If only it had puff sleeves, Anne Shirley would be all over this biotch. And I'm just not sure you want to be basing your Oscar debut on the fashion sense of a fictional Canadian teenager from the early 1900's.


As promised, my take on the necklace of doom. UNNECESSARY, DISTRACTING, AND BUTT UGLY AND I DON'T CARE HOW BIG OF AN EMERALD IT IS. That's all.



I actually quite enjoyed Anne Hathaway's many wardrobe changes throughout the evening and shared my favorite yesterday. These, not so much. The red carpet look was a fab color on her, but no girl, I don't care how thin you are, wants to add volume to the butt/thigh area. It just doesn't do anything for her and I would argue that without the extraneous material this might actually be a winner (and I pretty much put my money where my mouth is by including Sandra Bullock's dress on the best list, which is essentially this dress without the poof). 

The black layered taffeta monstrosity was just that - a black layered taffeta monstrosity. I'm fairly certain a little gnome named Frederick could live under there.

Oh the blue dress. A lovely color on her, to be sure, but when you look like you wrapped a Slip N' Slide around your tiny self and secured it with industrial strength straight pins, no one is happy. Except maybe those lucky bastards who live in a climate warm enough to use a Slip N' Slide right now.




As discussed at length at my Oscar party, Halle Berry is unbelievably gorgeous, never ages, and may very likely have magical powers related to her youthful beauty. From the waist up - I love. From the waist down I am reminded of my bedside table that was recently covered in used tissues whilst I was recovering from a nasty head cold.


Oh Marisa, such a pretty girl in such a poofy, stomach-pooch creating, overly dramatic sweetheart necklining, wrinkly, wide-strapped, asymmetrical dress.  Also, as my mom would say, get your hair out of your face.



Another piece of commentary from the Oscar Party - Nicole looks like she spilled something on her dress at dinner and grabbed the table runner and wrapped it around herself to cover the stain. Excellent description Kara, couldn't have said it better myself. 


This is gold lame covered in a doily like fabric. Let me repeat. Gold. Lame. It is 2011. Gold lame has it's place these days - namely a 1970's Roller Disco party in which the gold lame is worn with a certain sense of nostalgic irony. I don't believe Melissa Leo here was trying to be nostalgic or ironic. 


ScarJo here can't act her way out of a paper bag these days, but I will admit that she is one of the most beautiful actresses in Hollywood in my opinion and I like her even more now that she's retracted her claws from Ryan Reynolds so he can be my boyfriend. (Although if he is dating Sandra Bullock like the rags insist, I'm totally ok with that because I love her and love them together and love the Proposal and want that to be real life - sorry, tangent). However, I do not like the purple lace dress that does nothing for the cleave and the matchy-matchy eye shadow that manages to wash out her entire face. On the other hand, I do love her hair, SCANDALOUS, I KNOW. But I think it's fun and kind of flippy, casual. It just doesn't go with the look she's trying to pull off here, which really, she shouldn't be trying to pull off in the first place, you follow?


At least the Black Swan bit it for a good cause.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! You are hilarious! I am SO glad we agree that Halle's dress was bleh! The Irish fashion police RAVED about it. I feel like she wears a slightly different version of the same dress to every awards show. Ok - enough Halle-hating, I did not see Marisa Tomei (how did I miss that hot mess? And the pooch!! Spanks, meet Marisa, Marisa meet Spanks!). I don't however, agree on Sharon. I quite liked the dress, black swan shout-out and all - it was her hair and uber-severe makeup that ticked me off! Is there more Oscar fun to come this week??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love the Spanx comment! Regardless of what we think of Sharon's dress (maybe I'm just not into feathers this year? Also, agree with severe hair and makeup), I just learned that she didn't even attend the ceremony. She walked the red carpet and then went to Elton John's viewing party. I just find that incredibly odd.

    There is more Oscar fun coming! I'm going to give my rundown of the ceremony itself and the winners, as well as a post about my own Oscar party (with pictures)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sar, we may have different loves, but we are Totally twins when it comes to dress hating (which let's face it, trash talking w/ your friends is way more fun:)!

    One small comment...to me, Scarlett's hair is completely appropriate for the "candid" I-swear-I-look-this-good-when-I-get-coffee photo. Keep the casual off the carpet people.

    Anyway...loved your comments, loved your gold lame tantrum, and love you. Can't wait to hear more! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog so get off my back. FYI-Love it, of course. You're really embracing your potty mouth and I fully support it. Being that we are fashion soul mates I totally agree with all your commentaries.
    1. Florence and the Machine chick-I almost slit my wrists just so I could see some color. Blahhhh!
    2. Halle Berry-I'm pretty sure my Jem doll rocked that dress in 1985.
    3. Marisa Tomei-Plenty of tulle to hang yourself with after you see what you looked like in that dress.
    4. Scarlett Johansson-Love the mermaid style dress. It accentuates your personality. Washed-up sea hag. How is the music career working out?

    Watch out Joan Rivers. I'm coming for your job.

    ReplyDelete