Thursday, February 24, 2011

What's so delicious about ambiguity?

So I've already gotten a couple of comments about the name of my blog. "Where does it come from? How did you come up with that? That's kind of cool, if a little odd. What is so delicious about ambiguity?" Well, I'll tell you. 

The phrase comes from my favorite quote. I'm kind of picky about quotes and use them sparingly and only when I feel they are extremely appropriate for the situation. But this one has stuck with me for a long time. I first saw it on a greeting card and have since framed it and hung it in my bathroom (as one tends to do with framed greeting cards). There are pieces of it that really resonate with me and who am I, but more importantly, challenge me. Here's the quote by Gilda Radner:

Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, or end. 
Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next....delicious ambiguity.
 
I think this originally stood out to me because I like order and I wasn't incredibly fond of change. I resisted change for so long and in so many areas of my life. Ambiguity was not delicious, in fact, it was somewhat rancorous. I spent so much energy hanging onto people, things, ideas, and opinions that I either missed out on something new or smothered the life out of it. You know when you were a kid and you played tug of war in gym class and you were on the losing side and you really wanted to win because the winners got to go to the water fountain first? And you are pulling and pulling and pulling and you feel the momentum shifting to the other team, but you keep pulling anyways and you start to feel the fibers of your arms stretching as far as they can go and you're on your tip toes trying to stay in place and not take that first step that means imminent failure? It's with that kind of intensity that I resisted change.

Until it was thrust upon me. Everyone goes through life changing moments and I've had my share. It's through a series of these that I begrudgingly began to view change as a necessary part of life. And as I began to reap the benefits of some of these changes - the personal growth, the increased sense of self, the positive impact on personal relationships - I began to see it as something that wasn't threatening, but welcome. I finally got what Gilda was saying - you don't always know how life is going to turn out and that's ok. Be present. Be not only satisfied, but excited with where you are and where you've been. I'll be honest, I'm not always great at this, but I try. Real hard. 
 
Who knows where you're going or where your journey will take you, but won't it be fun to find out? Might even be delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! It sounds like the intro to a book I could really get into!! ; ) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thanks for this post. It's quite a brave thing to put out there, and it was something I needed to read - it's so relevant for me right now. xx

    ReplyDelete