Tuesday, February 22, 2011

She wore WHAT?

Awards season is by far my favorite season. I love the recognition of excellent work in film, the inevitable Cinderella stories, celebrities celebrating themselves, the drunken acceptance speeches, the awkward jokes made by a celebrity who thinks he can host a major event, but mostly I love the fashion. It's true, I'm really into film and consider myself a pretty major movie geek, but these awards shows aren't really about who gave the best performance or which film deserves the most accolades. I feel like it's gotten so political that the results don't matter so much. But that soapbox is for another post. 


No, this post is about my true love of awards season - the fashion! I love the red carpet and all the crazy that comes with it. Joan Rivers is my all-time favorite red carpet host and she is sorely missed these days. She wouldn't hesitate for one second to completely blast a celeb. Priceless. But, on to the dresses! These are some of the Oscar dresses that I love and others that I love to hate. Regardless of whether you sigh in envy or outright gasp in horror when they walk down that red carpet, you've got to love a statement.


Julia Roberts in a vintage Valentino the year she won for Erin Brockovich. Classic.

This Francisco Costa dress failed to impress at first. And then Hilary turned around.

My favorite actress in my favorite color. Kate Winslet can do no wrong.

The Versace gown that inspired a barrage of imitators, who never pulled it off as well as Penelope Cruz.

Reese Witherspoon glowing in plum during what I like to call the "Nina Ricci phase"

Michelle Williams in my all-time favorite Oscar gown. I love the color, the cut and the unexpected lip color. It's a little different, a little off, but just enough to be completely stunning. The downside is that it makes me want to attempt to pull off this color. Not a good look for me, although I just keep trying. Onto the crazy/amazing!

Bjork in the infamous swan dress. Lady Gaga might have paraded down the red carpet at this year's Grammy's in an egg, but has she ever LAID ONE? Amateur.

Celine Dion, mayor of Crazytown in a backwards white suit. Just because you're wearing sunglasses doesn't mean we can't see you.

Demi Moore coming straight from a charity triathlon - at least that's what I choose to believe to excuse this monstrosity.

Everything about this is completely wrong from the too tight curls, the too long fringe - actually, the fringe at all - the lunchbox purse and the high neck. Kate Hudson usually looks great on the red carpet, but this one just fell completely flat.

Oh Gwynnie, I love you on Glee and even saw your crappy movie about drunk country singers who SPOILER ALERT! off themselves in one of the most cliched movie scenes ever, but this is truly inexcusable. The chicken cutlet goth look is not good on anyone. I'm glad we've moved past this.

Who knew Uma had endorsed Swiss Miss?

From one pale brunette to another, oh honey no. Jewel tones are your friend. So is a good strapless bra.

No comments:

Post a Comment