Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Receptacle for Randomness

It's true what you hear. I've entered the world of blogging, oh about 8 years late. I've toyed with the idea for a while and was recently encouraged to do so by some friends. I was hesitant at first to engage in one more activity where I put my thoughts and opinions out into the world so readily, but thought, why the hell not? Maybe people actually want to know what's going through my head. So here's the first glimpse of how my thought processes work.

Reasons for Blogging (I like lists, get used to it)
1. A receptacle for randomness - I am a random person, some describe me as being on the "special crack" on occasion. I do things like kidnap a stuffed dog dressed as a reindeer on an adventure around my workplace and write an inappropriate children's book about it. I hide tiny ninja cutouts in my coworker's office. I like fashion, awards shows, and sparkly things just as much as science fiction. I have some pretty random dreams/thoughts/opinions that I sometimes feel like sharing/inflicting on others.

2. A creative outlet - I fashion myself to be a fairly creative person and since my bedazzler is broken I need something else to get my creative juices flowing.

3. My friends think I'm funny - to be honest, I think I'm funny too. Probably more than my friends do. Not that everything I write will be hilarious, but you can pretty much expect to be entertained, which leads to...

4. I enjoy entertaining others - I like to make people smile, make them laugh, add a little sparkle to their day. And if I can do that by telling a funny story or posting a picture or video, then that's even better. I like that blogging gives me a way to connect to several people at once and gives me the opportunity to impact all of them positively with minimal effort on my part!

5. Keeping in touch - I'm incredibly lucky to have some amazing people in my life and from different parts of my life. I've always had a lot of friends and it's a challenge to keep in touch. I know that I love reading others' blogs and hope that you will enjoy reading mine.

6. It's mandated by my quasi-generation - I realize that's an interesting fragment, so let's break it down. I was born in 1980, at the end of Generation X and on the cusp on Generation Y. This has led to somewhat of an identity crisis for me over the years. Where do I belong? Do I have a generation? I connect to both of them in certain ways. You can expect more musings on this in the future, but having jumped on the facebook and twitter bandwagons with a vengence this seems like the next logical step in revealing my inner-most thoughts to the whole wide world.

So what can you expect from this experiment in revelation? Honestly, who knows. Could be an observation I had while driving home, maybe a weird dream that I can't get out of my head. Could be a live-blog of an awards show or crappy Lifetime movie. Might be a random story or picture that I think will make you laugh. Every great once in a while there will be updates on what's going on in my life, but as much as I joke about inner-most thoughts, I typically like to leave those for personal conversations and out of the public forum. What I don't want this blog to become is a substitute for individual connection.

So read along, if you want. And if you ever get to the point where I annoy you or bore you, then stop reading. However, if I make you think, make you laugh, or piss you off, then we're just getting started.

2 comments:

  1. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any more exciting :) I'm so glad that you're blogging - you're right, you are one of the funniest people EVER. :) I do expect a comprehensive post on the best night of the year (aka Oscar!) as I cannot watch it myself. BOO!

    Oh, and I'm your first comment - booyah!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over it. And since you crack yourself up, I might as well allow you to crack me up too once in a while! ;)
    Looking forward to reading your musings, my friend. Much Love!!!

    ReplyDelete